Wednesday 4 December 2013

Drawing...Journey...Sculpture...


                                  'Windows 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 11',      Metal, cobwebs, dirt.

On my wanders I've found quite a few treasures, (one mans trash and all that) and I wanted to use the little collection of old, metal shapes I found in the barn where I discovered the shower panel. 
The idea was to collect anything metal I stumbled upon and use them in my first attempt at a sculpture. 
Each component was recovered from the old window frames where I found that if I stuck my hand down into the small gap between the brickwork of the outside wall and the rotting wooden panels of the interior, I would sometimes be lucky and pull out a hidden trophy. 
Each space was inhabited by gangs of spiders and smothered in cobwebs and years of dust, and was not that far from one of those jungle challenges on the celebrity? show. 
I wanted to keep the rust, dirt and cobwebs as they give an authenticity to the piece and a feeling of the history and life that has become attached over the years.
I put the pieces together in the order that I found them so it really built itself. 
Sitting on their own in the gaps between the windows the pieces are nothing, but built together they become alive and gain a certain physicality and completeness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment