Thursday 5 December 2013

Lens based...Selfie, Object and self Portrait Projects...

'Selfie'...

'A type of self portrait typically taken with a digital camera'...
Or the 'Look at me, doing something completely mundane and shoving it in your face' shot. 

"Wow...I'm brushing my teeth...that's well Reem!" 
(I don't even know what that means...)

                                              'Selfie', taken in the darkroom @ DMU on my phone..

   'Object'..The darkroom light, dmu..




                                                                    'Self Portrait'...

Wikipedia quote;
'Portrait photography or portraiture is photography of a person or group of people that displays the expression, personality, and mood of the subject. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of the photograph is usually the person's face, although the entire body and the background or context may be included'.

The self portrait I chose shows my obsession with going where I probably shouldn't. 
I've always been interested in exploring the places most people don't see or don't want to see. 
I think this is how I want people to see me. 
                                                                                             
        'Underground tramp's squat'


 The next two images suggest the idea of me being somewhere, but my mind is somewhere completely different. 
I think this is how most people see me. 




I also looked at making portraits stripped back to the bare minimum. 
The facial features are shown but nothing else.




Kids school photo's always show children in their uniforms, forced smiles and happy. we all know kids aren't always like this so I took this idea to make the classic, sickly, 'no-body wants to see it but you're granny' style portrait and capture them as everyone sees them ( "Your kids are soooo well behaved, How do you do it?, They're little angels, Blah Blah, Blah...").....






and then as they really are..........




'Posed and unposed portraits'...


                                        'Tim, backstage'


To me portrait photography should be the first thing you learn as a photographer. Good portraits demand that you learn to break the boundary's between the subject and yourself, and this is so important to a good photographer. 
Building a relationship is all imperative, whether it lasts 10 minutes or 10 years, but without it the true view of the subject can't be captured. 


"I sometimes find the surface interesting. To say that the mark of a good portrait is whether you get them or get the soul - I don't think this is possible all of the time". 
Annie Liebovitz.

                                                                                                                  'Dad'


                                                                             'Honest truths...'

"If the photographer is interested in the people in front of his lens, and if he is compassionate, it's already a lot. The instrument is not the camera, but the photographer."
Eve Arnold.

I think a lot can be said by a single image. Does it need a person in it to be a portrait? Maybe not. Can just the surroundings or the build up of an image act as a portrait?
'Portrait of a tramp' is a good example of this idea. The lack of the tramp adds to the image. We instantly get an image in our heads of what the man must look like without the need to actually see him. 

                                         "Portrait of a tramp"









           




No comments:

Post a Comment