Thursday 17 April 2014

Drawing project statement.

My drawings are inspired by the places I see as I wander the streets of the city. Unlike a lot of people I look upwards as I walk and am driven by a never ending desire to see whats around the next corner and I see a real beauty in the mundane structures. I'm attracted to the buildings and how they come together to form the streets. Through my drawings I want the viewer be transported to where I stood and to see these scenes in the same way as I did.
I started with my book, 'Wander, Record', which is a document of these journey's and a response to what I see surrounding me and through these drawings I progressed to larger pieces.
Complicated alleyways become broken down simple abstraction studies and line drawings built from shapes and angles but devoid of unnecessary detail. My writings give a glimpse into the small things I notice as I watch the world in front of myself. I want the work to capture the ever growing state of the city, it's shape and structural content, and the project, like the city itself, has no signs of stopping.
I tend to draw quickly when I make the larger drawings and will often start another drawing straight after finishing one. My urge to continuously experiment with different styles and mediums has led me to use technical pens and an old ink pen dipped in Indian ink over watercolour washes on Fabriano paper and discarded materials recovered from the places I've visited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment