Sunday 20 April 2014

self directed project 2014 statement

I made this work as a response to seeing a group of hoodies in the centre of Leicester. One kid in particular stood out to me and I wanted to create a character based on him and the life I think he may live.
I'm inspired and intrigued by whats going on in the UK and the people living in different circumstances and situations and this work represents a growing section of todays society.
The project took me on a journey around areas of Leicester I hadn't seen before and through photography I recorded the scenes then reproduced parts of what I'd seen through various mediums including woodcut printing, screen printing, drawing, painting and discarded materials recovered from the areas I visited.
The life I've created is very much a work of my imagination, a false portrait of a real person, but is intended to reflect a very real way of living and is built from experiences I've had whilst researching the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment