Wednesday 13 November 2013

Drawing...The Journey Project...Landscape painting/drawing 6ft x 3ft...

On my journey I've studied the old barns dotted around the village which are monuments to lives, families, business' and times long gone.
Even though some are derelict now and unused they still give shelter to animals and birds and stand strong and proud amongst the landscape of Kibworth. Some are re-born as dwellings, others crumble and disappear over time but all have served a purpose and played a major part in several lives.
With this painting I wanted to capture one of these buildings and its surroundings, the colours and textures. I didn't want a perfect image so worked fast and quite uncontrolled, not concentrating on specific detail but more trying to capture the essence of the environment with the main focus on the building. I decided to paint it this size (6ft x 3ft) to add to the feeling of size and area in what I was trying to convey.
Environmentally friendly household Paint was applied with brushes, twigs and sticks picked up on my journey and the cardboard was found in a lay-by, dumped with other stuff by fly-tippers which over time would become part of the environment too if not removed.
I'm pleased with the finished work and think the ripped, distorted texture of the cardboard adds to the old, rough feeling echoed through the landscape and building.



No comments:

Post a Comment