Wednesday 13 November 2013

Print...Experiments...

My print works have been mainly produced around dispersion and the idea of 'controlling a process but not an outcome' which has led to some interesting pieces. In these works I've been using materials found and recovered from jobs I'm doing on house renovations and this has lead me in a completely new direction.
I'm now concentrating on the dispersion of electricity and how it affects our whole lives. I'm trying to push the idea of the constant flow of electricity through our dwellings, our possessions and our lives.
I've started to go completely off track as far as producing straightforward prints goes and am working with the idea of using electricity and its components in installation pieces and sculptures, the way it imprints on us and where we live. I'm also looking at schematic electrical drawings and recreating them without the symbols, as maps of the installations.
This first piece is interesting in the way it brings together the waste parts from a domestic re-wire and couples them with a mobile electricity meter which changes colour when too much electricity is being used. With this in mind the piece is controlled externally by the use of power being used by individuals wherever it is positioned and the piece changes its appearance with no warning.


Through the process of taking these dead parts and piecing them together in an art form I'm giving them a new life and a new existence. This idea continues when the piece is plugged in and the lights shine like an electronic heart through a thin skin of wire and cables. 







No comments:

Post a Comment